Documentation--Avoiding a Dental Malpractice Claim
by Kathy Everitt
Monday, November 11, 2019
This "Take Five" article offers the following tips on documentation that are designed to help you reduce the chance of a malpractice allegation:
- Document care provided in as much detail as possible, including communication with the patient and other providers.
- Always document informed consent and informed refusal discussions in detail for every procedure.
- Take time to include narrative descriptions to electronic records systems; details are important.
- Make sure to document treatment of staff and relatives in the same manner you would any other patient.
- Maintain a team approach and good working relationships with other providers.
If you have questions about these documentation tips, please call PSIC's Claims Advice Hotline at 800-640-6504.